1 have already discussed the differences between evocation and invocation, and how invocational magick is the basis for Spiritism. The way a Spiritist does an invocation (becomes a "medium" for an entity claiming to be the spirit of someone deceased) is surprising:
1. The magician protects himself or herself with appropriate banishings, etc. The Spiritist does not.
2. The magician prepares to allow one particular entity to unite and control the magician's consciousness. The Spiritist allows anything which is hanging around to enter.
3. Magicians tend to doubt what they are told by non-physical entities. It took Crowley years before he fully accepted the responsibility of The Book of the Law. Many Spiritists tend to accept anything which "comes from the other side."
Invocational Magick, as done by Ceremonial Magicians, follows a straightforward pattern:
2 & 3. Calling on a particular entity and using words which have the dual purpose of loosing (not "losing") the control of the consciousness and allowing this other entity to "take over" for a time.
4. The identification of the entity.
5. Comments of the entity and questioning the entity.
6. Release of the entity and return to normal consciousness.
Ceremonial Magick invocations are actually too advanced to spend the space fully explaining a ritual invocation in this introductory course. But although I am not going to actually give a ritual for invocation, I will be showing you how to do one according to the pattern given above. With study and practice you should be able to construct your own invocational rituals.
1. For banishings and purifications, the best method I know of is the Opening by Watchtower.
2 & 3. To call on a particular entity requires a vast knowledge of that entity. Very frequently the entities chosen are Gods from various pantheons, archangels, or spirits from various grimoires. You must learn all you can about die particular entity you will be invoking, including the physical position (if any) in which the entity is most frequently visualized. Visualizing yourself in this position is known as "assuming a God-form." Appropriate colors and scents should also be around, and poetry or song and even dance dedicated to the entity should be performed. Sometimes, words which are fairly meaningless to us are repeated over and over, like a mantra. These are frequently (and wrongly) called "the Barbarous Names of Evocation." Together, this combination of calling a particular entity and using devices to alter the consciousness of the magician produces a condition which allows an entity to temporarily displace the consciousness of the magician.
4. Next, the magician will identify himself or herself as the entity. The speech pattern and appearance of the magician may alter at this time.
5. The invoked entity may give comments to those assembled. As with evocational magick, invocational rituals are group acts. Others are needed to take notes or ask questions of the invoked entity. It will later be up to all the people present whether or not they wish to follow the advice of the entity. The group may also wish to ask questions of the entity in order to prove the identity of the entity. This method is explained earlier in this lesson.
6. Since the chosen entity is from a non-physical plane of existence, it will not wish to stay for long. Sometimes an additional rite is added here. This rite will be discussed in the next lesson. Then the entity will freely choose to go and the magician's normal consciousness will automatically return. During the entire ritual, from after the Opening by Watchtower, the Earth Pentacle, a sign of the physical plane should be covered with a thick black cloth, preferably of silk. If the entity does not leave as quickly as desired, or (as I have seen happen), if people in the circle start to have a bad reaction from the extraterrestrial contact, unveil the Pentacle and show it to the eyes of the magician/invoked entity. It will depart to its own abodes. Also give the license to depart as in evocational rituals.
During the time when the non-physical entity is invoked, the consciousness of the magician is not simply gone. Rather, one of two things happen. It may stay on the astral plane near the body of the magician. Otherwise, it may go throughout the astral plane. Sometimes the consciousness of the magician may meet other entities on the astral plane, and the report of experiences by the magician during this period may be of more value to the group than the actual invocation!
7. Do the Closing by Watchtower. ^
There are many beautiful versions of this type of ritual given in sources both Pagan and Ceremonial. One of my favorites is an invocation to a deity which came before creation, and thus, was not created. In the words of the invocation, the entity is "bornless." Listen to the words of the calling:
Thee I invoke, the Bornless One.
Thee, that didst create the Earth and the Heavens;
Thee, that didst create the Night and the Day.
Thee that didst create the Darkness and the Light...
Thou hast distinguished between the Just and the Unjust.
Thou didst make the Female and the Male.
Thou didst produce the Seed and the Fruit.
This is followed by a long section of "Barbarous Names" which is meant to be repeated over and over (although it is not mentioned that you are supposed to do so) until the Bornless One takes over. The best way to allow this to happen is to "enflame thyself with prayer!"
Finally, the magician's personality leaves and the Bornless One identifies himself:
I am He! the Bornless Spirit! having sight in the feet: strong, and the Immortal Fire!
I am He! who hateth that evil should be wrought in the World!
I am He, that lighteneth and thundereth.
I am He, from Whom is the Shower of the Life of Earth:
lam He, Whose mouth ever flameth:
I am He, the Begetter and Manifester unto the Light:
Is that not beautiful? Versions of it can be found in The Lesser Key of Solomon: Goetia and in Crowley's Magick in Theory and Practice.
The reason I am not presenting an invocational ritual in full is not because it is dangerous. If you have practiced the rituals given so far in this course and follow the instructions given, you will have no problem. What I wish to present to you is the idea that rituals are not static and unchanging. Is there an entity you wish to invoke? Do the research on that entity, learn all you can about the entity. Find poetry dedicated to that entity or write some yourself. To be successful you must become totally involved with that god, archangel or spirit. And then you must truly want the entity to come to you. To do this you must "inflame thyself with prayer" aimed toward that particular entity.
I want to give you as much information as possible in this course. With evocation and invocation, this task is rather incomplete. This is because the very nature of magickal evocation requires the use of other books, and the nature of invocations requires a great deal of work on your own.
Although these types of magick are very dramatic, you can be a successful magician and never use them. If you do desire to practice these techniques you will have to purchase the appropriate books or do the necessary work.
Remember, one of the goals of this course is to allow you to pick up any book on magick and be able to understand it and work its system. Had I not told you the inner secrets of magickal evocation and invocation, a great quantity of books might not have been as clear to you as they could be. Thus, this lesson serves its purpose.
The instructions on how to create an artifical elemental are a more complete set of magickal instructions. You now know how to create an artificial elemental for any purpose you desire. Although the ritual looks short, in fact it requires much time and effort. It requires that you know the material in the eight previous lessons of this course.
You needed to know the correspondences with the elements.
You needed to know the Watchtower ritual which means that you needed to know the Pentagram and Hexagram rituals.
You needed to know how to generate elemental energy which also requires the knowledge of elemental pore breathing.
In short, this course is cumulative. I cannot stress this too much. To achieve success in magick requires dedication to study and prac tice. If you want to talk about magick, I think you will enjoy this entire course. If you want to be a magician, a real practicing magician, you must practice the exercises and techniques and rituals given in these lessons. There is no secret pill or formula to become a wyzard overnight. Now is the time to get to work if you have not already begun.
Was this article helpful?
Magick is the art and practice of moving natural energies to effect needed or wanted change. Magick is natural, there is absolutely nothing supernatural about it. What is taught here are various techniques of magick for beginners. Magick is natural and simple and the techniques to develop abilities should be simple and natural as well. What is taught on this site is not only the basics of magick, but the basics of many things.